About Meal Mix for Dogs
Hello, this is Dr. Karen Becker. I’m a proactive integrative veterinarian with a passion for feeding nutritionally balanced, biologically appropriate fresh food to pets. Over the years I’ve talked and written extensively about the myriad of health problems that occur when pets eat processed food their entire lives (dry kibble or canned food). These are the shelf-stable items available at pet stores and online that are super convenient, but they don’t provide the biologically appropriate, food-based nutrients necessary to maintain vibrant health in your pet.
Over the last century the pet food industry has convinced pet owners to feed pets highly processed diets that sustain life, but they don’t nourish pets as nature intended. Dogs are experiencing disease epidemics like never before, and chronic degenerative conditions related to poor lifestyle choices (including food), which are at an all-time high.
Dogs need to eat fresh, whole, species-appropriate food to be optimally healthy. I travel the world educating pet owners on the benefits of feeding dogs fresh food diets that mimic the nutrient-dense ancestral diets they evolved to eat. I’m proud to say pet parents across the globe are realizing that food matters, and the best way to know exactly what’s in your pet’s food is to make it yourself. But home-prepared diets can be time consuming, and most importantly, how do you know if the recipe you’re using is nutritionally balanced?
Fortunately, veteran pet food formulator Steve Brown agreed to work with me to create a human-grade vitamin/mineral mix that balances homemade pet diets. Steve created the first commercially available raw food diet in the U.S. over 20 years ago and maintains the largest nutrition database in the world for dogs. Steve’s database includes AAFCO, FEDIAF, NRC, Ancestral and USDA nutrition information.
Our goal was to create simple, easy to follow recipes that contain a variety of ingredient options to make homemade, nutritionally balanced pet food a reality for people who want to feed fresh food to their dogs.
It was important to us that the nutrients we included in our formula were human grade (which is not the case for most processed pet foods), non-GMO, soy and gluten free and could be used in many different recipes to allow for nutritional diversity and rotation of meats, vegetables and carbs (if desired). It was also important that we offer dog parents the option to serve the recipes gently cooked or raw.
The result of our work is the fabulous Recipe Creator, which allows you to customize meals from a variety of ingredients the work best for your budget and your adult dog’s nutritional needs.
Of course, we also wanted to achieve optimal nutritional requirements for trace minerals and vitamins, not just the bare-bones minimum requirements necessary to sustain life. Certain nutrients, including zinc, vitamin D and E, iodine and choline are present in tiny amounts in many foods, but are deficient in most homemade, fresh food diets without including super expensive ingredients, like oysters (for zinc).
This is why so many veterinarians are against feeding homemade diets; people guess and do it wrong, or believe they can add a little bit of this and a little bit of that, which is a good way to create nutritional deficiencies over time. We knew we wanted to not only address the nutritional deficiencies created from depleted soils (and therefore, depleted foods) but we wanted to make sure people could feed fresh food without having to spend a lot of money on expensive, rare ingredients. We wanted to make homemade food balanced and simple.
The answer we came up with is Meal Mix Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Mix for Adult Dogs, which takes the guesswork out of making nutritionally balanced, homemade, fresh food for your dog without worry, fuss or confusion. This human-grade nutrient blend allows you to easily balance a variety of homemade meals without complicated math, measuring or guesswork.
When you use the Meal Mix and the Recipe Creator together, you can quickly prepare a balanced and nutritious fresh food meal for your adult dog.
How the Recipe Creator works:
- First you enter basic information about your dog –name, activity level and weight. If you have more than one pet, you can create multiple recipes for each dog.
- A dog’s activity level can vary from sedentary to active. For example, “Sleeps All Day” is typical for a geriatric dog or one who has a hard time getting around, while “Very Active” is for canine athletes. This choice sets the amount of calories that your dog will consume in a day.
- You will need to enter the approximate weight of your dog. If you don’t have this information, use the table below to estimate your dog’s weight:
||Up to 14 lbs.
- Next, choose the meats, vegetables and starch for the recipe you wish to create. Some people will want to use veggies and starch and some will not; either way the recipes will remain balanced with the Meal Mix. Steve and I have prepared hundreds of meals that allow you to choose from meat only recipes, meat and vegetable recipes, or meat, vegetable and starch recipes to fit your budget and the nutritional needs of each dog in your family. The Recipe Creator allows you to choose one meat, one or two vegetables (optional), and one starch (optional). You can always create new recipes with different ingredients; the flexibility is endless. Of course, as always we recommend using ethically sourced grass fed meats, and organic vegetables and starches if possible.
- The recipe will also include the number of packets of Meal Mix for Dogs Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement to add to create a complete and balanced meal.
- Most recipes require adding a fish or krill oil (for omega 3 fatty acid requirements) or other ingredients such as vegetable oils to balance fats. The recipes provide you with a full, detailed ingredient list. Choose the recipes that work best for you and your dog.
- You can feed either raw or cooked food with the Recipe Creator. The most important thing is that you’re feeding a fresh food meal your dog will love!
- The recipes you create will provide both preparation directions and feeding instructions. You can view, print or email the recipes, and you can create as many recipes as you like.
- The Recipe Creator provides the macronutrient profile for each meal, and you can also view the full nutrient profile for a 1,000 kcal meal. Each recipe you create will have a specific kcal recommendation per day based on the activity level and weight of your dog. The recipe will meet or exceed the AFFCO nutrient standards for a complete and balanced meal for maintenance.
- After preparing the meal according to the recipe, you can store the remaining portions in the refrigerator for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to two weeks.
I am really excited to bring you our groundbreaking innovative Recipe Creator and Meal Mix Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Mix for Adult Dogs. I always recommend feeding your pet the highest quality food that you can afford, and I’m delighted that you’ve chosen to incorporate fresh homemade, species appropriate meals into your dog’s diet.
Whether you feed one fresh food meal a week, or you offer your dog fresh food at every meal, the more you can avoid highly processed, commercially prepared foods for your furry family member, the healthier your pet will be. I look forward to hearing your feedback about my Recipe Creator and the delicious meals you create!
Here’s to better health,
Dr. Karen Becker
TRY RECIPE CREATOR NOW
Dr. Mercola Premium Products